Recipe: Aubergine bake - very nice
- Details Category: Vegey Meals Published on Wednesday, 20 November 2013 08:19 Written by Super User :
- 1 aubergine, cut into thin slices lengthways
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250g spinach
- 250g tub ricotta - or big lump of blue cheese made into a cheese sauce
- grating of nutmeg
- 350g jar tomato sauce - or an onion, fried; box of tomatoes; 1 teaspoon thyme, half teaspoons of sage and rosemary; all simmered
- 4 tbsp parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Brush both sides of the aubergine slices with oil, then lay on a large baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 mins until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach in a large colander and pour over a kettle of boiling water to wilt. Cool, then squeeze out the excess water, so that it is dry. Mix with the ricotta, nutmeg and plenty of seasoning.
- Dollop a spoonful of the cheesy spinach mix in the centre of each aubergine slice, fold over to make a parcel and lay, sealed-side down, in an ovenproof dish. Pour over tomato sauce, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese, and bake for 20-25 mins until golden and piping hot.