Recipe: Glamorgan, veggie sausages
- Details Category: Vegey Meals Published on Thursday, 15 May 2014 18:33 Written by Super User :
- 50g butter
- 100g leeks, finely sliced (about 1 large one)
- Nutmeg, to taste
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs, preferably a mixture of white and brown
- 2 tsp thyme, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, separated (white for the coating)
- 1½ tsp English mustard
- 175g lancashire cheese (crumbly cheese)
- 2 tbsp milk
For the coating
- 75g breadcrumbs
- 50g flour
- 1 egg beaten with the whites from above eggs
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan and sweat the leeks over a medium heat until well softened. Season well with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Mix 100g breadcrumbs with the thyme.
- Beat the egg yolks and mustard together.
- Crumble the cheese into the breadcrumb mixture and stir in the leeks.
- Mix the egg yolks and mustard into the bread mixture.
- Season, mix well and add the milk.
- Shape into six sausages (damp hands will make this easier) and chill for half an hour.
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark four.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites and an extra egg until frothy.
- Put the flour, beaten egg and remaining breadcrumbs on separate plates, and roll each sausage in the flour, then whites, then breadcrumbs to coat.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan over a medium-high heat.
- When hot, add the sausages and cook until just golden on each side.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes, until richly golden.
- Serve immediately.