Recipe: Rhubarb Jam
- Details Category: Condiments, Jams, Preserves, Pickles and Sauces Published on Wednesday, 17 October 2012 21:28 Written by ethel :
- 1 pound rhubarb, thinly sliced, about 4 stalks
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted*
- In a heavy 5 to 6-quart kettle, combine the sliced rhubarb, lemon juice, grated lemon peel, sugar, and ginger; let stand for 4 hours.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; cook, stirring often, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until a jelly thermometer registers 220° or use the cold saucer test.
- Stir in the nuts and simmer for 1 minute, stirring.
- Ladle the conserve into hot sterilized jars; seal. Jars can be refrigerated for up to 2 months, or freeze for up to 1 year.
- For longer storage, this conserve must be processed in a hot-water bath for 10 minutes. Store in a cool, dark place.
- Makes about 3 1/2 cups.