Recipe: Lime Pickle
- Details Category: Condiments, Jams, Preserves, Pickles and Sauces Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 18:21 Written by ethel :
- 6 - 8 preserved limes (quartered, salted and preserved for a month in an air-tight jar)
- 2 tbspns toasted black mustard seed, crushed
- 2 tbspns chilli
- 2 cup raisins or sultanas
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 - 6 cloves garlic
- 1 large piece ginger, peeled
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- Prepare the limes first by cutting them into quarters and salting them.
- Let them sit covered in a jar, preferably in the sun.
- This will soften them and remove the bitter taste of the lime skin.
- (Putting it in the sun will speed up the process of preserving them).
- Season the limes with the toasted black mustard seed, the chilli, garlic, ginger, sugar and raisins or sultanas to sweeten.
- Blend to a fine paste with the apple cider vinegar, then place in a saucepan, bring it to the boil, cover and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. (Don 't forget to stir it as it can stick to the bottom quite easily).
- Bottle in clean, air-tight jars while the chutney is still hot.