Recipe: Tomato Relish
- Details Category: Condiments, Jams, Preserves, Pickles and Sauces Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 22:30 Written by ethel :
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 800g/1lb 12oz chopped tomatoes
- 200ml/7fl oz red wine vinegar
- 200g/7oz sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 30g/1½oz capers in vinegar, rinsed
- 30g/1½oz baby gherkins, chopped
- handful fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion, garlic and chilli until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and mix well.
- Add the vinegar and sugar and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes and season with the salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- The relish should be the consistency of jam.
- Stir in the capers and gherkins and the chopped coriander.
- Add more seasoning if required.