Recipe: Blackberry Jam
- Details Category: Condiments, Jams, Preserves, Pickles and Sauces Published on Saturday, 26 July 2014 20:53 Written by Super User :
- 1.25kg blackberries
- Finely grated zest and juice of 4 large limes or 3 lemons
- 1.25kg jam sugar (with added pectin)
- Put the berries, lime/lemon zest and juice into a large stainless steel pan and cook over a low heat, stirring now and then, until the berries are soft and plenty of juice has been released.
- Press gently with a potato masher to release even more juice and break up some of the fruit, but don’t reduce all the berries to pulp.
- Add the sugar, then stir for about 10 minutes until the sugar dissolves. (This is important to prevent the jam from crystallising during storage.)
- Increase the heat, then boil steadily for 7 minutes until setting point is reached, 105°C.
- Remove the pan from the heat, skim any scum off the surface, then leave for 5 minutes for the fruit to settle down into the syrup.
- Stir well, pour the hot jam into warm sterilised jars then immediately cover with waxed discs and lids.
- Label, then store in a cool, dark place.