Recipe: Duck Breast with Pomegranate Plum Sauce
- Details Category: Duck and other Fowl Based Published on Saturday, 07 July 2012 21:43 Written by Super User :
- 2 duck breasts
- 2 Italian prune plums, diced
- 1 cup POM pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup dark balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 6.
- Score the fat side of the duck with a knife.
- Place in a heavy skillet fat side down and cook over low heat, letting a lot of the fat render out.
- From time to time, pour the fat into a jar.
- Store the fat in the refrigerator to use in other recipes, if desired. Keep doing this for about 20 minutes.
- By then a lot of the fat will be rendered out, and the remaining fat on the duck should be browned.
- Remove the duck breasts to an oven-proof casserole.
- In a separate pot, heat the pomegranate juice, orange juice and balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook at high heat about 10 minutes.
- Pour the sauce (it will still be thin) over the duck breasts that are in the casserole.
- Place the casserole in a Gas Mark 6 preheated oven.
- Cook 8 minutes for rare meat or 10 minutes for medium rare.
- After the allotted time, remove casserole from the oven and remove duck breasts from the casserole onto a carving board.
- Cover to keep warm while you reduce the sauce.
- To reduce the sauce, place the heatproof casserole over a high flame and add the diced plums.
- Boil for about 10 minutes or until the liquid starts to thicken and become almost syrupy. Don’t let it get too thick or it won’t pour properly.
- Add the butter, stir until melted and blended with the sauce, and serve alongside the meat.