Recipe: Stuffed Roast Pheasant
- Details Category: Duck and other Fowl Based Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 19:49 Written by ethel :
- 1 pheasant (dressed and prepared)
- 3 rashers of back bacon (or streaky)
- 2oz butter
- 5fl oz white wine (or red which will give it a deeper richer flavour-too strong for some palate)
- 1 tablespoon redcurrant jelly
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 slices (which will be fried) white bread
For the stuffing:
- 8oz pork sausagemeat
- 1 small onion (VERY finely chopped)
- 1 apple (dessert-peeled, cored and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- salt & pepper
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Set oven to 350F. In a bowl mix together the sausagemeat, onion, parsley and season to taste. Bind the mixture with the beaten egg. Stuff the pheasant using any leftovers for stuffing balls (which some prefer) and cook around the bird in the dish.
- Place bird on a roasting tin and wrap the rashers around the bird. Brush the butter over the bird and cook for 35-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and drain the fat. Place back in the roasting tray (if it has been removed) and rub gently over the bird the redcurrant jelly. Then pour the wine and the lemon juice over the bird (most of the jelly will wash off into the roasting tray).
- Return the bird to the oven for another 20-25 minutes, keeping the bird moist by basting regularly. Fry the four slices of bread (plate them)and once the bird has cooled slightly cut it into four pieces and place on top of the bread. Now quickly boil the gravy to reduce it to a fine sauce and pour over the four game pieces.
- Should serve four people and should be accompanied by a potato dish of choice.