Recipe: Roast Guinea Fowl
- Details Category: Duck and other Fowl Based Published on Sunday, 02 March 2014 20:27 Written by Super User :
- 1 onion, cut into wedges, through the root
- 2 carrots, quartered lengthways
- 1 large potato, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small guinea fowl (around 1kg/2lb 4oz)
- 1 tbsp butter at room temperature, plus 2 tsp for the gravy
- 4 smoked streaky bacon rashers
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- few thyme and rosemary sprigs
- 300ml chicken stock
- 100ml white wine
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 5.
- Toss the vegetables with the oil and some seasoning in a large flameproof roasting tin.
- Place the bird on top of the veg, smear with 1 tbsp butter and lay the rashers in a row over the breast. Season generously, then roast for 35 mins.
- Remove from the oven, take the bird off and give the veg a stir while adding the garlic, rosemary and thyme. Pour 200ml stock and the wine over the veg and piut the bird bsck on top, then return to the oven to roast for another 25 to 35 mins until the bird is cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Remove the bird, place on a serving plate, cover with foil to keep warm and leave to rest.
- Drian the liquid into a separate pan to make gravy with the flour and butter.
- Drizzle a bit of oil over the remaining veg.
- Turn the oven up to Gas Mark 7 and roast the veg for a further 15 mins until tender.
- Mix 2 tsp butter and flour in a small bowl to form a smooth paste.
- Place the drained liquid into a pan. Whisk in the butter paste and redcurrant jelly into the juices until dissolved, then add the remaining stock and extra seasoning, if you like.
- Bubble for a few mins until the sauce thickens.
- Slice and serve the guinea fowl, crisp bacon and the veg with the sauce on the side.
This is the recipe modded for the second run. First was good but dry (over-cooked).