Recipe: Duck Legs Braised in a Tomato Sauce with Lemons & Sumac
- Details Category: Duck and other Fowl Based Published on Thursday, 17 April 2014 18:24 Written by ethel :
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 duck legs
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- a pinch of crushed chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1 x 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1 medium lemon cut into round slices, pips removed
- salt & pepper to taste
- about 700ml chicken stock
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan or casserole with the oil in it.
- Once hot, add the duck legs and brown well on both sides.
- Remove the legs and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic.
- Saute until the onion is soft.
- Add the spices and mix through.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and lemon slices.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the duck legs back to the pan.
- Pour in enough stock to cover the meat.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook on low heat for an hour or until the meat is quite tender and almost falling off the bone.
- Check seasoning and add more salt/pepper as required.
- Serve hot with rice, polenta or warm crusty bread.