Recipe: Black pudding supper
- Details Category: Salads & Light Mains Published on Tuesday, 13 May 2014 17:56 Written by Super User :
- 400g small potatoes
- 200g black pudding
- Olive oil
- 4 eggs
- Cut 400g of small potatoes into discs, no need to peel thin skins.
- Pile them in a deep baking dish.
- Thickly slice or crumble 200g of black pudding and tuck it in among the potatoes.
- Trickle four tablespoons of olive oil over and dab some knobs of butter around.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes in an oven at 180C/gas mark 4 until the potatoes are golden and tender and the black pudding toasted.
- Remove the dish from the oven.
- Make four holes/depressions in the mixture and break four large eggs into them and return to the oven for a couple minutes or longer, depending on how you like your eggs.
- Chorizo has become a little ubiquitous, but that doesn't stop it being a perfect alternative for black pudding in this dish. The softer and more crumbly the chorizo, the better. There is no reason why you shouldn't swap the potatoes for parsnips if you wish, though I would be tempted to introduce a little butter with the oil.
an idea from Nigel Slater