Recipe: Mushroom Soup
- Details Category: Soups Published on Wednesday, 17 October 2012 11:47 Written by ethel :
- About 500g mushrooms – mixed or all of one type
- 35g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 small potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
- 100ml double cream
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- The not-so-pretty mushrooms can be puréed into the soup, while the good-looking ones are used for garnish.
- Melt the butter in a pan with the olive oil and then add the garlic, onion, leek, and potato. Sweat the vegetables for a few minutes.
- Clean and chop the less-attractive mushrooms, then add to the vegetable base to cook through.
- Pour in enough vegetable stock to cover the ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using a ladle, transfer the soup to a blender. Blend the soup to a smooth creamy consistency. Pour the soup into a new pan and re-heat.
- Next roughly chop the A-list garnish mushrooms and simply sauté in more butter and olive oil, with plenty of salt and pepper, until brown.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and add a good glug of cream.
- The soup is now ready to serve. Pour into bowls and garnish with the sautéed mushrooms.