Recipe: Spicy Parsnip Soup - Jamie
- Details Category: Soups Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 21:04 Written by ethel :
- olive oil
- knob of butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 6 parsnips, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 500ml milk
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- optional: a handful of fresh coriander leaves
- crusty bread, to serve
- Heat a splash of olive oil and the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and garam masala. Gently fry for around 10 minutes, until the onions are soft and sweet.
- Drop in the chopped parsnip and stir together so that everything gets coated in the oil and flavours.
- Pour in the milk and stock, season well and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes with a lid on.
- After half an hour, check that the parsnips are cooked by sticking a knife in. If you’re happy, remove them from the heat and carefully whiz up using a hand blender or liquidizer.
- Taste the soup to see if it needs a little more salt or pepper.
- Serve with a sprinkling of sliced red chilli, a few coriander leaves if you like, and a good chunk of crusty bread.