Recipe: Vegetable and Barley Soup
- Details Category: Soups Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 22:26 Written by ethel :
- 1kg root vegetables, choose a selection of root veg such as carrots, turnips, swede, parsnips, golden beetroot and celeriac.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 stick celery
- 30g butter
- 1.5 litres good vegetable or chicken stock
- 150g pearl barley
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley, optional
- Peel and roughly chop the root vegetables.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Trim and chop the celery.
- Gently fry all the vegetables in the butter in a large pan until the onion has softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the stock and the barley, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until everything is tender.
- Taste and add seasoning if it needs it.
- Serve scattered with a little chopped parsley.
- WITH TOASTED CHEESE AND MUSTARD
- Toast slices of farmhouse bread, butter them, spread with a little dijon mustard and cover with grated cheese.
- Sprinkle on a few thyme leaves and grill until bubbling and lightly browned.