Recipe: Butternut Squash and Spicey Carrot Soup
- Details Category: Soups Published on Friday, 29 June 2012 19:39 Written by ethel :
The carrot and squash start to break down after half an hour’s cooking and, together with the starch from the pasta, will thicken the soup without the need for a blender. This is great for a hungry family.
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and deseeded
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, or ¼ tsp dried crushed chillies
- 1.2 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 75g dried spaghetti or small pasta shells
- Freshly grated Parmesan, to serve
- Sweat the onion and garlic in the oil over a medium heat for 5-7 minutes until soft.
- Chop the carrots and butternut squash into 1.5cm dice and add to the pan.
- Season and cook for another 6-7 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Stir in the thyme leaves and the fresh or dried chilli, then pour in the stock.
- Stir and bring to the boil. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until the carrots and squash are soft and beginning to break down.
- Break the spaghetti into small pieces into the soup or add the pasta shells.
- Stir well and return to the boil.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the pasta is cooked and the soup has thickened slightly.
- Check for seasoning and ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve.