Recipe: Butternut, Ginger and Apple Soup
- Details Category: Soups Published on Friday, 29 June 2012 19:49 Written by ethel :
- 1.25kg butternut squash
- 300g eating apples
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 30g butter
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 knob fresh ginger, grated
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- TO SERVE
- 1 apple, extra
- 1 knob butter, for frying
- Peel the squash, discarding the skin, seeds and fibres, and cut the flesh into chunks.
- Peel, core and roughly chop the apples.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- In a large pan, fry the onion and garlic in the butter until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Season, stir in the ginger and allspice and fry for a further minute.
- Add the squash and apple, cover and cook gently for about 10 minutes, stirring through occasionally.
- Add the stock and gently simmer for 20 minutes or until everything is soft.
- Once cooled a little, purée in batches in a processor.
- Taste, adding extra seasoning if needed, then reheat in a saucepan.
- Slice the extra apple very thinly and lightly fry in butter until just golden.
- Serve the soup decorated with the apple slices.
- WITH BUTTERED CREAM CHEESE TOAST
- Grill thick slices white farmhouse bread, spread with butter followed by your choice of cream cheese.