Recipe: Hubbard Squash Soup
- Details Category: Soups Published on Saturday, 19 September 2015 20:10 Written by Super User :
- 1 Hubbard Squash, quartered and seeds scooped out
- 2 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 2 pints chicken stock
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 medium onions
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped and sweated (cooked but not browned)
- 5 springs of thyme (optional)
- A few few teaspoons of pumpkin oil
- 1 extremely small black truffle - optional
- sea salt - be careful with the saltiness of French Sea Salt !!!!
- lots of fresh black pepper
- chives, minced
- crème fraîche to garnish
- Heat oven to Gas Mark 3.
- In a large roasting pan place Hubbard pieces skin side down.
- Take garlic head and cut off in half across the bulb. Place it alongside the Hubbard in the roasting pan, putting any loose cloves on top of the squash. Add thyme if desired.
- Drizzle groundnut oil over the flesh.
- Cook slowly for around 2 hours or until the Hubbard flesh is soft.
- When it is cooked take it out and scoop out the flesh.
- Fry off the onions and celery.
- Purée in batches with the stock, celery, and garlic (squeeze garlic out of skins), and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Before serving, mix in one teaspoon of oil per serving (one bowl) and sprinkle a little more on top.
- Shave truffles and float as a garnish. (Optional)
- If there are any extras, they can be chopped and added to the soup.