Recipe: Cavolo Nero and Cannellini Bean Soup
- Details Category: Soups Published on Sunday, 11 October 2015 19:53 Written by Super User :
- 1 1/2 pounds cavolo nero (also called Black Russian), stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 dried red chili, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 pint stock - veg or chicken to suit
- 8 ounces dried cannellini beans, soaked according to package instructions
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 loaf Tuscan bread (about 6 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices and toasted
- Prepare an ice bath and set aside.
- Steam the kale until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Plunge the kale into ice bath. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook stirring occasionally until tender - about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chilli and fennel seeds; simmer and stir occasionally for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in stock, beans and tomato.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir occasionally until beans are tender - 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add the kale and reserved cooking liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until kale is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Divide bread and soup among 4 bowls.