Recipe: Pineapple Upside-down Cake
- Details Category: Desserts Published on Wednesday, 17 October 2012 18:58 Written by ethel :
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) sliced pineapple in syrup (12 slices in all)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whipping cream, chilled and whipped, or vanilla ice cream
- Drain pineapple slices, reserving 2 tablespoons of syrup.
- In a heavy 10-inch iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, stirring until sugar is melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Arrange 8 pineapple slices on sugar mixture and one in center.
- Cut 3 slices in half and stand up around edge of pan.
- Place 1 pecan half in center of each pineapple slice.
- Into a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add shortening and milk; beat for about 2 minutes, or until batter is smooth.
- Add egg and reserved 2 tablespoons pineapple syrup. Beat 2 minutes longer.
- Pour cake batter over pineapple slices in skillet, spreading carefully.
- Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden brown and cake springs back when lightly touched in center.
- Cool in skillet on rack for 5 minutes; loosen edges with spatula or butter knife.
- Hold serving plate over top of skillet; invert and shake gently to loosen cake.
- Lift off skillet.
- Serve cake warm with whipped cream or ice cream.