Recipe: Rose and vanilla ice cream
- Details Category: Desserts Published on Wednesday, 17 October 2012 21:22 Written by ethel :
Serves 4- Preparation time 30 minute - Cooking time 5-7 minutes plus overnight freezing
- 100g (32oz) caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 15g (2oz) cornflour
- 600ml (1 generous pint) whole milk
- Handful of Fairtrade rose petals, plus a few extra to sprinkle at the end
- A few drops of Fairtrade vanilla extract
- 150ml (5fl oz) double cream, lightly whipped
- Whisk the sugar with the egg yolks in a large bowl until they are pale and thick.
- Blend the cornflour with a little milk until you have a smooth paste. Stir it into the egg mixture and set it aside.
- Place the remaining milk in a saucepan with the rose petals and heat until just below boiling.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool a little. Then pour it slowly onto the egg mixture, stirring continuously.
- Return the mixture to the heat and bring to the boil.
- Then turn it down and simmer, stirring constantly until thickened (about three minutes). Remove from the heat.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with cling film to prevent a skin forming.
- Leave to cool, then remove the cling film and strain the mixture to remove the rose petals.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Then pour into a freezer-proof container and freeze until ice crystals form and the mixture is slushy.
- Transfer to a bowl and whisk or beat with a wooden spoon ; fold in the lightly whipped cream until it is evenly mixed in.
- Pour into an ice cream container and freeze overnight.
- Allow the ice cream to stand at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving to thaw and soften slightly.
- Sprinkle with a few extra petals.