Recipe: Rich Bread and Butter Pudding
- Details Category: Desserts Published on Wednesday, 17 October 2012 21:40 Written by ethel :
- 8 slices bread (from a small loaf)
- approximately 2 oz (50 g) butter
- ½ oz (10 g) candied lemon or orange peel, finely chopped
- 2 oz (50 g) currants
- 10 fl oz (275 ml) milk
- 2½ fl oz (60 ml) double cream
- 2 oz (50 g) caster sugar
- grated zest ½ small lemon
- 3 eggs
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C).
- You will also need a 2 pint (1.2 litre) enamel baking dish (one of the oblong kind), well buttered.
- Butter the bread and cut each slice of buttered bread in half – leaving the crusts on.
- Now arrange one layer of buttered bread over the base of the baking dish, sprinkle the candied peel and half the currants over, then cover with another layer of the bread slices and the remainder of the currants.
- Next, in a glass measuring jug, measure out the milk and add the double cream. Stir in the caster sugar and lemon zest, then whisk the eggs, first on their own in a small basin and then into the milk mixture.
- Pour the whole lot over the bread, sprinkle over some freshly grated nutmeg, and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve warm