Recipe: Spotted Dog with lemon sauce
- Details Category: Desserts Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 20:45 Written by ethel :
Serves 6, generously Prep: 25 min Cook: 2 hr
- 25g soft butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 125g raisins
- 125g currants
- 2 tbsp brandy or whisky
- 225g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 75g butter
- 50g shredded suet or vegetarian alternative
- 2 eggs
- A little milk
- You will need a 2 pt/approx 1 litre pudding basin, tinfoil and string
- Butter the pudding basin with soft butter. Spoon 1 tbsp Golden Syrup in the base of the basin.
- Place raisins, currants, brandy or whisky, 1 tbsp Golden Syrup and 1 tbsp water in a suitable pan and cook gently, then cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and continue cooking for a few more minutes until the fruit is plump. Tip on to a plate to cool.
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Cut 75g butter over the top and rub it into the flour. Add the suet and mix thoroughly. Whisk the eggs until smooth and make up the quantity to 150ml with milk. Stir the sticky fruit into the flour mixture and add the egg gradually, using a knife to mix into a damp, cohesive dough with dropping consistency.
- Turn it into the prepared basin, smooth the top with a knife and smear with any remaining soft butter.
- Make a central pleat in a large piece of tinfoil and place loosely over the top. Tie securely then loop a handle across the top of the pudding. Pour boiling water two thirds of the way up the basin. Cover with the lid and boil for 2 hours. LEMON SAUCE Ingredients – Serves 6 Prep: 10 min Cook: 20 min
- 750ml milk
- 2 lemons
- 50g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Tiny pinch of salt
- 2-4 tbsp caster sugar Method
- Put the milk into a pan. Pare the lemon paper-thin and add to the milk. Heat through until hot but not boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, melt the butter & stir in the flour until blended. Cook over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully pour in the milk, beating all the time. Cook at a gentle simmer, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon, for a few minutes until smooth and lightly thickened.
- Add 2 tbsp sugar and the tiny pinch of salt. Let the sauce cook gently for a good 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the juice from one lemon. Taste to decide if you need more lemon or more sugar. Strain to remove the lemon zest.