Recipe: Bread and Butter Pudding
- Details Category: Desserts Published on Friday, 29 June 2012 20:00 Written by ethel :
- 6 slices well buttered bread
- 50g/2oz Sultanas
- 4 Eggs
- 50g/2oz Sugar
- 1 pint Milk
- A little extra Sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas mark 3. Grease a 7.5cm/3 inch deep ovenproof dish.
- Remove the crusts from the buttered bread and cut into quarters (triangles or squares). Reserve 4 quarters for the top and arrange the rest in layers in the dish, sprinkling the sultanas between each layer. Top with the reserved quarters.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk to hot but not boiling. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs and sugar then add the hot milk, stirring well.
- Slowly strain over the bread and fruit, being careful not to dislodge the top layer of bread. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a little sugar and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the top is browned and crispy.