Recipe: Brown bread ice-cream
- Details Category: Desserts Published on Saturday, 30 June 2012 21:14 Written by Super User :
- 75 g brown breadcrumbs, (ideally from a wholemeal bloomer)
- 60 g brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp whiskey
- 270 ml double cream
- 75 g icing sugar
- Mix the breadcrumbs and brown sugar together, then spread the breadcrumb mixture evenly out on a baking tray.
- Preheat the grill and grill the breadcrumb mixture for 8 minutes or until dark and caramelised. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, break the caramelised breadcrumbs into small bite-sized pieces.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks with the whisky (we jsed 2 tablespoons single malt 22/7/2012). Fold the egg yolk mixture into the whisked egg whites.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream and icing sugar together until fluffy.
- Using a metal spoon, fold the whisked cream and the caramelised breadcrumbs into the egg mixture.
- Transfer into a freezer-proof container and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.