Recipe: Cheese - my version Jan 2013
- Details Category: Cheese Manufacture Published on Tuesday, 29 January 2013 20:10 Written by Super User :
- 400ml greek yoghurt
- 2l Whole Milk
- 6 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 heaped teaspoon citric acid
- Put milk in a very large pan and heat slowly to 31 degC.
- Add all of the yoghurt.
- Stir and bring back to 31 degC then leave for 45 minutes keeping at 29 to 31 degC.
- Stir the milk and add lemon juice stirring all the time. Mix the citric acid in a little water and add to the milk. Stir continuously for 1 minute with a whisk.
- Leave to stand for 45 minutes maintaining temperature at 29 to 31 degC until a clean break is achieved.
- You can start testing after 20 minutes. If necessary, add more lemon juice.
- A clean break is when a cut doesn’t heal but fills with green whey.
- When a clean break is achieved cut down and across to form ½ inch columns of curd. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir gently and intermittently for 20 minutes to keep the curds apart.
- Then let the curds rest for 5 minutes and they should sink to the bottom.
- Remove 1.5 litres of whey with a spoon.
- Add back 1.5 litres of water at 55 degC and test that the mixture has a temperature of 38 degC. Gently apply heat if needed.
- Stir gently and intermittently for 30 minutes breaking any large lumps of curd.
- Then leave to settle for 5 minutes.
- Drain off whey until curds are only just covered.
- Apply first gentle press. Use the inner pan of the spaghetti pan and two-thirds-fill one of the milk bottles to use as a weight.ave for 45 minutes keeping at 29 to 31 degC