Recipe: Lemon Garlic Soft Cheese
- Details Category: Cheese Manufacture Published on Thursday, 31 January 2013 21:35 Written by Super User :
Herbed Lemon Cheese
- 4 pints whole or 2% milk
- 300ml buttermilk
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1.5 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon minced Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 clove garlic, finely grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Start the night before by leaving the opened carton of buttermilk at room temperature so it achieves the consistency of yoghurt.
- Gently heat the milk to 31degC.
- Stir in the buttermilk and leave at 31degC for 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Gently bring the temperature up to 82degC.
- Add the lemon juice and stir slowly until the milk separates into curds and whey.
- Ladle into a cheesecloth-lined fine mesh sieve set over a large bowl.
- Gather the corners of the cheesecloth together over the curds and tie with butcher's twine.
- Let the curds drain in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, or until the desired consistency.
- Transfer the cheese to a medium bowl, stir in the chives, parsley, thyme, and garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Form the cheese into a wheel and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving.