Recipe: Lamb Shanks - preferred recipe
- Details Category: Lamb Based Published on Wednesday, 17 October 2012 10:26 Written by ethel :
Serves: 4 Prep: 15 min Cook: 2 hrs 30 min
- 4 lamb shanks
- Olive oil, for braising (to fill casserole about 1cm deep)
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 Carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 Onions, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic head, broken up into cloves (unpeeled)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 375ml Red wine
- 600ml chicken stock
- Take a casserole (or any oven-proof dish) and place on the hob over a high heat, pour in the olive oil and when hot, add the lamb shanks, turning occasionally until brown.
- Once nicely browned, remove the lamb from the pot and tip in the chopped leek, celery, carrot, onion and garlic cloves.
- Stir them all together and add the bay leaf, thyme and rosemary. These ingredients will all add flavour to the dish but won't be served at the end.
- Once the vegetables are lightly browned, place the lamb back into the pot, allowing it to rest on top of the vegetables.
- Pour in the red wine and chicken stock, and bring to the boil.
- Cover the pot with a lid or kitchen foil, and place in a 150oC/gas 2 oven to braise for 2 hours 30 minutes or up to 5 hours depending on the amount of lamb you use.
- Serve the lamb shanks with the cooking juices poured over the top.