Recipe: Lancashire Hotpot
- Details Category: Lamb Based Published on Wednesday, 28 August 2013 21:12 Written by Super User :
- 100g dripping or butter
- 900g stewing lamb, cut into large chunks
- 3 lamb kidneys, sliced, fat removed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 25g plain flour
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 500ml lamb or chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 900g potatoes, peeled and sliced
- Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Heat some dripping or butter in a large shallow casserole dish, brown the lamb in batches, lift to a plate, then repeat with the kidneys.
- Fry the onions and carrots in the pan with a little more dripping until golden.
- Sprinkle the flour over, allow to cook for a couple of mins, add the Worcestershire sauce, pour in the stock, then bring to the boil.
- In an oven-proof bowl layer the meat and bay leaves, then onions/carrots then more meat, etc..
- Arrange the sliced potatoes on top then drizzle with a little more dripping or butter.
- Cover, then place in the oven for about 1½ hrs until the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove the lid, brush the potatoes with a little more dripping or butter, then turn the oven up to brown the potatoes, or finish under the grill for 5-8 mins until brown.