Recipe: Lamb Shoulder Tegine
- Details Category: Lamb Based Published on Saturday, 29 March 2014 19:36 Written by Super User :
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds 1' cubes lamb shoulder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 teaspoons Ras-el-Hanout spice blend
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled ginger
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 1/2 cups (or more) low-salt chicken stock
- 1/2 cup halved dried apricots
- 1 tin chickpeas
- Steamed couscous
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
For the tagine
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, brown lamb on all sides, about 4 minutes per batch.
- Transfer lamb to a medium bowl.
- Add onion to pot; reduce heat to medium, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until soft and beginning to turn golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped garlic, Ras-el-Hanout , and ginger.
- Stir for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and lamb with any accumulated juices.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add 2 1/2 cups stock.
- Return to a boil, reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lamb is starting to get tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and continue to cook for 30minutes or more until the Lamb is tender.
- Stir in apricots; simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon couscous onto a large, shallow platter, forming a large well in center. Spoon tagine into center. Sprinkle cilantro over.
For the Ras-elHanout
- Toast coriander and cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until aromatic and slightly darkened, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a spice mill; let cool.
- Add crushed red pepper flakes.
- Process until finely ground.
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients; whisk to blend.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 month ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.