Recipe: Lamb Tagine 2
- Details Category: Lamb Based Published on Saturday, 14 June 2014 18:29 Written by Super User :
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 800g /1lb 12oz cubed lamb shoulder
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 450ml/15fl oz lamb stock
- 400g/1 lb dried apricots
- 1 x 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 400g/14oz can chickpeas, drained
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- handful flaked almonds
- 400g/14oz couscous, cooked according to packet instructions
- 6 tbsp Greek-style yoghurt
- Heat the oil in a large tagine or casserole. Fry the lamb, in batches, for 3-4 minutes or until browned all over. Remove the lamb and set aside.
- Fry the onion in the tagine for 4-5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the garlic and spices, and cook for a further 3-4 minutes. Return the cooked lamb cubes to the tagine, then add the stock, dried apricots and chopped tomatoes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover with the tagine lid and simmer for 45 minutes, checking occasionally, until the lamb is tender and the sauce has thickened. (Add a little more stock if the mixture starts to dry out.)
- Stir in the chickpeas and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle over the parsley, mint and flaked almonds. Serve the couscous and Greek-style yoghurt alongside.