Recipe: Lancashire Hotpot #3
- Details Category: Lamb Based Published on Monday, 10 November 2014 19:22 Written by ethel :
- 2 large red onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 turnip, chopped
- 900g/2lb best end of neck of lamb chops, or cubed leg of lamb
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 x 2.5cm/1in thick slices black pudding
- 900g/2lb potatoes, sliced into 5mm/¼in thick slices
- 570ml/1 pint hot lamb stock
- 55g/2oz butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the red onions, carrots and turnips into a heavy-based lidded casserole dish. Add the lamb and bay leaf and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover the lamb and vegetables with the black pudding slices followed by a layer of potato slices, overlapping the slices to completely cover the lamb, vegetables and black pudding.
- Add the hot stock to the casserole and brush the potatoes with melted butter.
- Cover the casserole and place in the oven to cook for about two hours. After two hours remove the lid and cook for another 30-45 minutes, until the potatoes are crisp and golden-brown.
- Take the casserole dish to the table and serve.