Recipe: Lancashire Hotpot 2
- Details Category: Lamb Based Published on Monday, 10 November 2014 19:23 Written by ethel :
- 100ml/3½fl oz vegetable oil
- 350g/12oz lamb, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp beef stock granules, dissolved in 100ml/3½fl oz water
- 50g/1¾oz chopped onion
- 50g/1¾oz chopped carrots
- 50g/1¾oz chopped celery
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 tsp cornflour, mixed with 3 tsp water (optional)
- 300g/10½oz potatoes, sliced
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tsp dried parsley, to garnish (optional)
- 100ml/3½fl oz gravy, to serve
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add the lamb and cook until golden-brown and then stir in the tomato purée.
- Add the stock and simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the lamb is tender.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the mint and cook for 2-3 minutes. If necessary, thicken the sauce by adding the cornflour paste.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Transfer the stew to an ovenproof dish. Place the sliced potatoes on top and brush with melted butter. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the potato topping is golden-brown.
- Sprinkle with dried parsley and serve with gravy.