Recipe: Braised spiced cabbage
- Details Category: Vegey extras, dips and hummus Published on Sunday, 09 June 2013 22:09 Written by Super User :
- 1 small red cabbage
- 25g butter
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Finely slice the cabbage, discarding the core and any tough pieces. Melt the butter in a pan with a tight-fitting lid over a medium heat. Cook the onion uncovered for 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
- Stir in the spices then add the cabbage, apple, red wine vinegar and sugar plus 100ml cold water. Stir until thoroughly mixed and the sugar has dissolved. Season generously.
- Bring to the boil, then cover tightly and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is very tender and the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the redcurrant jelly, allow to melt, then serve.