Recipe: Braised Rabbit in apple juice
- Details Category: Rabbit based Published on Tuesday, 09 April 2013 21:50 Written by Super User :
- 1 wild rabbit, skinned and jointed
- 2tbsp flour (15g)
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 9oz/250g leeks, sliced (green and white part)
- 9floz/250ml apple juice (or cider)
- 18floz/500ml chicken stock (homemade or from a cube)
- 1lb 2oz/500g small carrots, cut diagonally into chunks
- 4oz/110g frozen peas
- 4tbsp cream, single or double (optional)
- 1-2tbsp Dijon or whole-grain mustard
- To serve: 1lb 2oz/500g new potatoes
- Mix the flour and paprika (if using) and coat the rabbit pieces. If you have the liver, cut it into strips and flour that too.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the rabbit and cook, turning, until golden on all sides, sprinkling in any leftover flour mix. (Add the liver, if using, for the last minute or so.) Lift out and keep to one side.
- Put the leeks in the pan and cook until soft. Return the rabbit to the pan and add the apple juice, stock, carrots and salt and pepper. Cover and cook gently for an hour, until the rabbit is tender.
- Remove the lid and simmer until the sauce is thickened. Stir in the peas (no need to defrost), cream and mustard. Heat through and serve with boiled new potatoes.
Lidl via Telegraph