- Details Category: Cakes Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 20:51 Written by ethel :
- 200g mixed raisins and sultanas
- 4 tbsp rum
- 15g dried yeast
- 125ml lukewarm milk
- 125g caster sugar.
- 500g plain organic flour
- 175g softened butter
- 2 eggs
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g candied peel
- 100g chopped almonds
- zest of 1 lemon
- more melted butter
- icing sugar
- Soak 7oz/200g mixed raisins and sultanas in 4 tbsp rum overnight.
- Mix ½oz/15g dried yeast with 4fl oz/125ml lukewarm milk and 4½oz/125g caster sugar.
- Put 1lb 2oz/500g plain organic flour into a warm bowl, make a well in the centre, add the yeast mixture and partially mix. Leave for 30 mins.
- Add 6oz/175g softened butter, 2 eggs, a pinch of salt, and 1 tsp ground cinnamon. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and bubbly.
- Work in the (drained) fruit, optional 3½oz/100g candied peel, 3½oz/100g chopped almonds and zest of 1 lemon, then leave overnight.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough into an oblong about 1in/2.5cm thick. Fold into a stollen shape; place on a floured baking sheet and brush with melted butter.
- Leave to 'prove' for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to gas mark 3.
- Bake for 45-75 mins. The stollen is ready when an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Take out of the oven, brush with more melted butter and dust with icing sugar. Wrap in foil and clingfilm when cool. Store for two weeks and eat at Christmas.