Recipe: Date squares
- Details Category: Cakes Published on Saturday, 01 March 2014 20:53 Written by Super User :
- 1 and 3/4 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, butter, salt and baking soda. Mix well. The mixture will be crumbly.
- In a saucepan over low heat, cook the chopped dates with the water and the white sugar until the pulp is soft and well mixed.
- Layer 1/2 of the oat mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with the date mixture and then finish off with the remaining oat mixture. Press down slightly on layers to compact.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes or until top crust begins to brown.