Recipe: Courgette and Apple Cake - Nigel Slater
- Details Category: Cakes Published on Saturday, 13 September 2014 19:34 Written by ethel :
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150g courgettes (about 2 small ones)
- 1 small apple
- 200g plain flour
- a large pinch salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch cinnamon
- 60g pecans
- 80g sultanas (half cup, packed)
- Pre-heat oven at 180C/gas mark 4.
- Butter and line the base of a loaf tin measuring 20cm x 12cm x 9cm deep.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs and mix them in, one at a time, making sure each is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Coarsely grate the courgettes and the apple. Squeeze them with your hands to remove any excess moisture, then add to the mixture.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon, and gently fold into the mixture.
- Stir in the nuts and fruit.
- Transfer to the lined loaf tin and bake for about an hour, or until golden and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool in the tin before turning out.