Recipe: Spiced Sweet Potato and Carrot Velouté
- Details Category: Christmas Published on Tuesday, 10 December 2013 11:18 Written by ethel :
This creamy, thick soup has all the rich flavor of carrots and sweet potatoes--those roasted side dish staples--spiced up with French quatre épices, full of ginger, nutmeg, and clove, and just smelling of Christmas. It's so hearty, but so healthy!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- ¾ teaspoon quatre épices (make your own by mixing equal parts ground black pepper, ginger, nutmeg, and clove)
- 1 pound of sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound of carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 quart of vegetable broth or water
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- ⅓ cup heavy cream (optional)
- In a large heavy-bottomed stockpot, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions, and sauté, stirring often, until translucent and fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Add the quatre épices, and stir in, cooking an addition 20 seconds.
- Add the sweet potato and carrot, and cover with vegetable stock or water.
- Season the mixture, stir everything together, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes, by which time the carrots and sweet potato should be very tender.
- Shut off the heat.
- Use a hand blender to purée the soup.
- Stir in the cream and serve.
- A great garnish would be sweet potato or carrot chips, instead of croutons or crackers.