Recipe: Pork, Sausage & Bacon Oven Cassoulet
- Details Category: Recipes Published on Tuesday, 19 January 2016 20:42 Written by ethel :
- 400-450g streaky steaks (strips of pork belly ), rind trimmed
- 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 400-450g pack of pork sausages (try Cumberland, garlic or sage-flavoured Lincolnshire varieties)
- 4 back bacon chops, about 400g/14oz
- 400g can cannellini, haricot, butter or mixed beans, drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrot, thickly sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 bouquet garni 'tea bag'
- about 600ml chicken stock (from a stock cube is fine)
- 25g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic clove
- Heat oven to Gas Mark 4.
- Quickly pan-fry the strips of pork belly in the oil, followed by the sausages and back bacon chops, until well browned.
- Mix together the beans, onion, garlic, carrots and tomatoes in a bowl.
- Starting with a spoonful of the veg, inter-layer the vegetable mix and meats in a deep braising pan (about 3 litres capacity, 7.5cm deep, preferably one that will go on top of the stove). Place the bouquet garni in the centre as everything is being stacked.
- Pour just enough chicken stock on top to almost cover, then bring to a simmer on top of the stove. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and braise in the oven for about 1hr 20- 1hr 30 mins, until the meats are all tender and the top is golden brown.
- If the stock reduces while braising, simply pour a little more on top to moisten.
- Remove from the oven and allow to settle for 5 mins before serving. (Remember to take out the bouquet garni.)