Recipe: Yorkshire Rice Squares
- Details Category: Recipes Published on Tuesday, 26 July 2016 18:21 Written by Super User :
- 150g of uncooked rissoto rice - fry then cook in vegetable stock, leave to cool at room temp
- 4-7 medium courgettes, 800g, grated or spiralised
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 or so carrots the same size as the courgettes, grated or spiralised
- 12 large eggs
- 300g cheddar cheese, grated
- 75g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced (optional)
- 75g flour
- 2 rounded desert spoons of Italian herbs with garlic/olive mix
- Optional: A handful of spinach (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook gently for a few minutes or until soft.
- Add the carrot, and cook for another few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the courgette and cook for one more minute.
- Remove from the heat and place mixture in a bowl to cool.
- When the rice is cool coat with 75g of plain flour.
- Beat the eggs extremely well in a bowl.
- When everything is cool: mix the rice/flour, eggs, the larger amount of cheese, the herbs and the veg. The result should be a strong mix without runny egg.
- Grease the base and sides of a large high-sided baking dish and line with grease-proof paper. Press rice mixture in, top with tomato slices (optional) and then remaining grated cheese -
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
- Leave to cool and cut into slices and wrap individually to freeze.