Recipe: Courgette pickle
- Details Category: Recipes Published on Saturday, 03 September 2016 20:24 Written by Super User :
- 700g diced courgette
- 300g sliced onion
- 1 large green very mild chilli
- 2 diced red sweet peppers
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- In a large bowl or pot combine courgette, onions and peppers. Sprinkle with the salt and toss to coat.
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables and allow to stand at room temperature for 3 hours.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to a colander in the sink and rinse with cold water and then drain.
- In an 8-10 quart pot, combine the sugar, vinegar, 1/4 cup of water and spices. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable mixture and return to boiling. Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat and sterilise jars in a hot oven
- Ladle the hot relish into sterilised jars, leaving a 1/2-inch at the top.
- Seal cap and leave to cool.