Recipe: Oxtail Stew
- Details Category: Recipes Published on Wednesday, 05 April 2017 18:54 Written by ethel :
- 0.5 kg oxtail , chopped into 4cm chunks
- 1 medium leek
- 2 medium onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 sticks of celery
- 2 medium carrots
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- a few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 1 heaped tablespoons plain flour
- 1 x 400 g tins of plum tomatoes
- 150ml ml stout or red wine
- Beef stock to cover the stew
- Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7.
- Place a large roasting tray in the oven to preheat.
- Remove the hot tray from the oven, then add the oxtail. Season and drizzle over a lug of olive oil, then toss to coat and place in the hot oven for around 20 minutes, or until golden and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, trim and halve the leeks, onions, garlic and celery lengthways, then chop into rough 2cm chunks.
- Peel and chop the carrots into 2cm pieces, then place into a large ovenproof casserole pan over a medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and fry for around 20 minutes, or until soft and starting to caramelise, stirring often.
- Roughly chop and add the thyme and rosemary leaves, then add the bay leaves.
- Meanwhile, remove the oxtail from the oven and set aside.
- Add the cloves and flour to the veg, stirring well to combine, then pour in the tomatoes and beer or wine.
- Add the oxtail and any roasting juices, cover with the beef stock and stir well.
- Bring to boil on stove top, then pop the lid on and reduce heat to a good simmer for around 2.5 hours, or until the meat falls away from the bone, stirring every hour or so and adding a splash of water to loosen, if needed.
- Strip the meat from the bones and return to the pan, discarding the bones.
- Add a good splash of Worcestershire sauce, season to taste and enjoy with creamy mash (celeriac mash goes well).