- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 30g fresh flat-leaf parsley, de-stalked so about 20g left
- 30g fresh basil, de-stalked so about 20g left
- 1 handful of fresh mint - optional, not used yet
- 1 heaped dessertspoon of capers
- 1 heaped dessertspoon of gherkins, in sweet vinegar
- 4 quality anchovy fillets (there are about 8 in a tin)
- 2 heaped teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 dessertspoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons really good extra virgin olive, to get the consistency
- Salt and Pepper - salt shouldn't be needed due to the anchovies
- Open the anchovies and remove all of their tiny bones.
- Place all of the ingredients (except the oil) in a food processor and pulse for several seconds until a paste forms
- With the food processor on low, slowly pour in the olive oil until the paste becomes a thick sauce.
- Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Decant into a bowl and serve or keep in jars in the fridge for up to a fortnight.
Written by Adrian