for 4 to 6 people
- 4 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- 250ml beef stock
- 150ml red wine
- 3 tablespoons port
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 30g tomato puree
- 50g redcurrent jelly
- 50g dark brown sugar
- For the port and redcurrant jus, melt a knob of butter in a large saucepan on a medium-to-high heat.
- Add 4 shallots, peeled and sliced, 2 fresh thyme sprigs and 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped and fry for a few minutes to just brown the edges.
- Add the fennel seeds and toast for 1 minute then stir in 50g dark brown sugar until it melts through and begins to bubble up the side of the pan.
- Reduce the heat, stir in 150ml red wine to deglaze the pan for a minute or so and then add 250ml of beef stock, 3 tablespoons of good-quality port, 30g tomato paste and 50g redcurrant jelly.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes - this will evaporate off most of the alcohol, leaving a rich, sweet and syrup-like sauce.
- Remove and discard the thyme sprigs.
Written by Adrian