Makes 600ml of concentrate to be made up equally with chilled water, soda water or spirits - try vodka!!
5 unwaxed lemons - chop and de-pip 2 lemons; grate the rind and squeeze the remaining 3 lemons.
200g white caster sugar
600ml cold water
Pinch of salt (optional)
¼ cucumber, sliced
Small bunch of mint
a further 600ml of liquid to add for serving
- Cut two of the lemons into chunks, removing pips. Put into a food processor or blender, along with any juices from the chopping board
- then add the rind and juice of the remaining three lemons.
- Add the sugar, the salt if using and a little of the first 600ml of water.
- Whizz to a puree, then add the rest of the first water.
- Pass the puree through a sieve to remove large pieces left
- Bottle and refrigerate until required.
- When required, add enough water, soda or spirits to double the concentrate
- Taste and add a little more sugar if necessary.
- Pour into a jug add the slices of cucumber and a couple of sprigs of mint, then chill until ready to serve.
- Serve over ice with a fresh slice of cucumber and a fresh sprig of mint for each glass.
- Amended 20th September 2012 with more sugar and double quantities.