Option :: 1
- 1 lb fresh gingerroot, peeled and scrubbed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 lb sugar
- Rinse scrubbed and peeled roots and soak in cold water overnight.
- Place in kettle in cold water to cover. Bring to a boil.
- Drain and repeat process 3 or more times (depends on how old the ginger is).
- In a separate pan, boil sugar and 1-1/2 cups water together for 20 minutes to make the syrup.
- Stir in the drained ginger root and heat until syrup comes to a boil.
- Remove pan from heat and let stand overnight.
- Store in airtight glass jars in the refrigerator.
Option :: 2
- 1/2 cup julienned fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil and blanch ginger for 10 seconds.
- Drain and repeat 2 more times.
- In a medium saucepan bring sugar and water to a boil.
- Add blanched ginger and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour into a container and keep in the fridge until ready to use.