by Veda Nugent and Marrett Green
In the past, this dish was prepared only for grand celebrations and weddings, but as people became more health-conscious they began serving it more frequently. Goat meat is one of the healthier meats because it is so low in fat.
Yield:4 to 5 servings
Preparation & Cooking Time: 1 to 1½ hours (not including marinating)
- 3 pounds / 1.5 kg goat, cut into 1-inch / 2.5-cm cubes
- 1 lime
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons / 45 mL)
- 2 teaspoons / 10 mL salt
- 1 teaspoon / 5 mL black pepper
- 1 teaspoon / 5 mL thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon / 1 mL finely chopped Scotch bonnet pepper- none
- 2 tablespoons / 25 mL canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon / 5 mL sugar
- 5 green onions, chopped (about 1 cup / 250 mL)
- 2 teaspoons / 10 mL curry powder– or 2 teaspoons cury paste
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch / 1-cm cubes
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- Squeeze the lime juice over the goat; let it sit for a couple of minutes and then rinse with cold water. Drain off excess water. Place the goat in a sealable container and add the onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, thyme, and Scotch bonnet pepper. Wearing rubber gloves, rub the spices into the goat with your hands. Marinate, covered and refrigerated, for 1 to 2 hours.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil and sugar, stirring until the sugar is brown. Add the goat with marinade, green onions, and curry; stir thoroughly. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer the goat slowly in its own juices, stirring occasionally, until the goat is nearly tender, about 30 minutes. If the meat is tough, pour ¼ cup / 60 mL of water at a time down the sides of the pot, not directly onto the goat (or you will toughen the meat).
- Add the potatoes and carrot and ¼ cup / 60 mL water; stir thoroughly. Cover and simmer for 60 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked but not too soft. Crush some of the potatoes to thicken the sauce, if desired. If there is not enough sauce, add ¼ cup / 60 mL water and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice or roti and a salad.