For the sponge
150g unsalted butter
150g golden caster sugar
50g coconut nectar
150g grated courgette
½ teaspoon ground cumin
3 medium free range eggs
200g organic self raising flour
For the candied courgette
50g courgettes, very thinly cut into matchsticks
50g caster sugar a good pinch whole cumin seeds
10g icing sugar
200ml double cream
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Beat the sugar, nectar and butter until the usual creamed stage for any sponge cake is achieved.
- Slowly add the egg a little at a time, then add the courgettes and cumin powder. Finally add the flour and mix until just combined nicely.
- Place in a greased 20cm baking tin and bake for around 35 mins at 160°C, use the usual cake testing methods.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the candied courgettes, mix all ingredients together in a bowl and wait for 15 minutes, drain off the majority of the liquid then place on a non stick backing sheet and leave in a low oven to dry out.
- To serve, cut halfway though the cake and whip some double cream.
- Pipe the cream into the cake and save a little for decoration. Pipe little dots of cream onto the cake top and garnish these with the candied courgette.
- Finally, dust the whole thing with a little icing sugar mixed with a small amount of ground cumin.