- 725g chopped green tomatoes
- 1 windfall apple, not ripe!
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 125g butter
- 400g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 250g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 60g sultanas or raisins
- 60g chopped walnuts
- Place chopped tomatoes and chopped apple in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Place in a sieve or colander, rinse with cold water and drain.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour a 20x30cm (9x13 in) baking tin.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until creamy.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, bicarb and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add sultanas and nuts to dry mixture; add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Batter will be very stiff. Mix well.
- Add drained tomatoes and mix well. Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until skewer inserted into cake comes out clean.