- 400g pork liver
- 1 cup of milk
- 400g belly pork slices
- 200g cooking bacon
- 1 large onion
- 2-5 cloves of garlic to taste
- 125g dried breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry English mustard powder or 2 teaspoons readymade dijon mustard
- Salt - see below
- Chop the liver into small pieces. If the smell is strong it can be reduced by soaking the liver in the milk - drain the milk before adding the other ingredients.
- Remove any skin and bone from the belly pork but save the fat. Chop into small pieces and either put through a meat grinder or use a food processor with a coarse chopping blade.
- Chop the onion and garlic into fine dice.
- Mix all ingredients together to form a stiff coarse paste.
To prepare for cooking either:
- Form into small balls about the size of a satsuma, or
- Fill a small baking dish about 35mm deep
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7 and bake for 15 minutes before turning down to gas mark 4.
- Continue to bake for up to 90 minutes; the meatballs will cook a bit quicker than the tray bake.
- Cut the tray bake into squares to make regular cubes.
- Add to any pasta dish or serve with a thick onion gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots, peas etc.
This dish needs a bit of salt or it will be very under seasoned but be careful that you don't add too much if your bacon is salty.